Friday, September 17, 2010

Perfect Little Brain!

Wow, so much GOOD news to share! Tyler has a perfect little brain! Nothing is missing and everything appears to be the appropriate size. I guess I'll start this blog with the MRI story.

Tyler and I went for his fetal MRI this past Tuesday at 6am. I should have known not to book the test this early, as I still have some feelings of uneasiness in the mornings. But, I was anxious to get it over with. The sooner it was done, the sooner we could get the results. Greg came with me and waited in the waiting room. I have had an MRI done on my head before and do not find myself to be a claustrophobic person. I can deal with small spaces as long as there is air blowing around me. I was taken back to the MRI room, which happened to be FREEZING cold. The tech told me that the test would take approximately 30 minutes. I laid on the table, which was obviously not cushioned with pregnant people in mind. I might as well have laid on the ground. The tech wrapped a sheet around my arms and belly. She then put this big padded object over my belly and strapped it to the table. I felt like a bug in a rug. I couldn't move my arms from my side. She did give me a panic button to push if I needed her. She told me that the MRI is loud, so she gave me head phones so that I could listen to the radio.

She left the room and the test started. I was never completely in the MRI. My head was barely sticking out the machine. I did great for the first 15 minutes. I tried to close my eyes and relax. Tyler was behaving, with an occasional kick here and there when the MRI would buzz loudly. After about 20 minutes into the MRI, my stomach decided it was time to eat. My thoughts changed from relaxation, to "I have to eat". That is when it all went downhill. I started looking around, my back started hurting and I couldn't move my body because of the way she had me wrapped. I felt myself getting dizzy, feeling short of breath and getting sweaty. I panicked and hit the button. No response. I was able to calm myself down for a few minutes. After another 5 minutes, I could feel the panic coming back. I pushed the button a second time. No response. Again, I tried to slow my breathing and think of other things. Another 5 minutes passes and the machine moves me further into the tube. At this point, I am squirming. I am so hot and dizzy. It didn't help that my arms were snug to my body. I hit the button a third time, literally squeezing the heck out of it. I was getting out of this machine whether it was done or not! I had devised an escape plan on how I could crawl out. The tech said, "Only one more minute, can you make it?". Heck no! Get me out now! The MRI was stopped. It took me a few minutes to regain my breath and to stop sweating. I am NEVER doing that again. I felt guilty that I could not finish the test completely, but was resolved that if something was wrong, they would have to wait for Tyler to come out. I was not putting us through that again. I looked at the clock. I had been in the MRI for 45 minutes! No wonder I couldn't finish.

I waited patiently for 2 days. Dr Longo said it would only take "a day or so" to get the report. On Thursday, I picked up the phone and called her office. Before I called the office, I called Greg on three way so that he could hear what she said. I am horrible at remembering everything and Greg wants verbatum descriptions from my conversations with all my Doctors. She had originally told us that she would have us come in to review the results. But, she was willing to go over them on the phone! She said that everything looked normal. Normal septum pellucidum and corpus callosum. She went through a couple different things that the radiologist pointed out, but nothing that was considered to be abnormal. Whooohoooo!!! She confirmed what I have been feeling this entire time. She did mention another ultrasound for follow up measurements, but I think I'm just going to call it quits. Tyler has been through enough!

After I got off the phone with the Doctor, I just sat at my desk and cried. They were all happy tears of course! This horrible roller coaster of emotions is over! I can finally just enjoy the last two and a half months of having him inside of me. The nightmares of 'what ifs' is no more.

This week Tyler has discovered Mommy's ribs. He just loves to kick me in the ribs. He is also having another growth spurt. The round ligament pain has reached a new level! But, this is all nothing when it comes to knowing that everything is okay.

Tummy time with Tyler! I am in the 30th week! It seems like this pregnancy is flying by. I don't want to wish it away, but I am more excited than ever to meet my sweet baby boy. Here are some belly shots at 28 weeks and 3 days.

1 comment: